George Malisheff

AWM memorial panel 56

Borre British Cemetery, France

Alias in 1916 stated that his correct name is Checkman, Petr Fedorovich

Russian spelling

Георгий Малышев; Петр Федорович Чекман

Born 1884

Place Odessa or Yampolsky uezd, Podolia, Ukraine

Ethnic origin Ukrainian/Russian

Religion Church of England


Enlisted together Malisheff, Akim Petroff, Sholmatoff, Tarasenkoff, Tuagarin, and Yannin

Residence before arrival at Australia Served 5 years in the Russian Army

Arrived at Australia
on About 1911

Residence before enlistment 1911 Evergreen Cooyar railway, Brisbane, 1915 Mount Morgan, Qld

Occupation Miner

service number 2761A
enlisted 14.08.1915
POE Rockhampton, Qld
unit 25th Battalion, 9th Battalion
rank Private
place Western Front, 1916-1918
casualties WIA (shell shock) 1916
final fate KIA 17.04.1918
cemetery 28 Borre British Cemetery, France

Naturalisation Served as Russian subject


Digitised service records (NAA)

Digitised Embarkation roll entry (AWM) (Malishelff)

Roll of Honour (AWM)

Blog article



Newspaper articles

Central District volunteers. - Morning Bulletin, Rockhampton, 18 August 1915, p. 8

From Russian Anzacs in Australian History:

[...] with the group of six Russians from the 9th Battalion who enlisted together at Rockhampton on 14 August 1915, all were listed as casualties by the end of 1916. Akim Petroff from Novozybkov and Nicholas Sholmatoff from Moscow were severely wounded at Armentières just a few days after their arrival at the front; they were invalided to Australia. George Malisheff from Podolia suffered shell-shock at Pozières; he recovered but was killed in 1918. At Mouquet Farm Tehon (Tikhon) Yannin from Samara was killed on the same day that Alexander Tarasenkoff from Orel was wounded; Tarasenkoff recovered eventually, rejoining his unit a year later. Finally, John Tuagarin, also from Orel, had to defend his Russian honour when he was court-martialled in October [...]; he was killed in action in December 1916.

[...] George Malisheff 'was on terms of great friendship with [Mrs E. Hammersley's] family and before leaving them he said he was going to fix things so that [her daughters] would benefit in the event of his death'. They sent him parcels and letters until he was killed at Hazebrouck in 1918.