Русская версия

Liljestrand, Seeburg, Halme, Kaufman, Puho

Erik Arvid Liljestrand

  • Erik Arvid Liljestrand, a Finnish seaman from Helsingfors (Helsinki), enlisted in the AIF in Melbourne.
  • He served with the 23rd Battalion on the Western Front, attaining the rank of Lance-Corporal. In May 1917, at the battle for Bullecourt, he was wounded in the head; recovering, he rejoined his battalion. A year later at Ville-sur-Ancre he was severely wounded in the back and arms. He was evacuated to England, but died of wounds and pneumonia three weeks later.
  • His Australian friend commemorated him in a newspaper advertisement after his death.

Frank Seeburg

  • Frank Seeburg, a seaman of German parentage born in Orel in Russia, came to Australia in 1907. He lived in South Australia working as a labourer and fireman.
  • Enlisting in the AIF in Adelaide, he served with the 5th Pioneer Battalion on the Western Front.
  • After the war he lived in Barmera in South Australia, working as a labourer.

Andrew Halme

  • Andrew Halme, a former seaman from Kuopio in Finland, first tried to enlist in the AIF in July 1915, but did not succeed. His second attempt in April 1916 in Goulburn was successful.
  • He sailed to England with the reinforcements to the 35th Battalion, but soon after arrival to Plymouth he was reported as absent.
  • His destiny is unknown.

Karl Kaufman

  • Karl Kaufman, a seaman from Wesenberg (Rakvere) in Estonia, enlisted in the AIF in Melbourne.
  • He served with the 58th Battalion on the Western Front and was killed in May 1917 at Bullecourt.
  • His family in Estonia was found after the war.

Alexander Puho

  • Alexander Puho from Olustvere in Estonia came to Australia in 1914 and worked as a locomotive fireman.
  • Enlisting in the AIF in Cootamundra, he served with the 18th Battalion on the Western Front. On May 1917, at Bullecourt, he was wounded in the arm and returned to Australia.
  • After the war he married an Australian girl, Constance Lilian Stone, and had a large family. Alexander became a dairy farmer and then a banana grower and lived with his family in Woolgoolga, NSW. He was active in the local sub-branch of the RSSILA and in 1942 was elected its president.