Wiberg, Graubin, Johnson, Lammi, Setalo

June 2, 2016

Erik Oliver Wiberg

  • Erik Oliver Wiberg from Abo (Turku) in Finland came to Australia in 1912 on a Finnish ship as a steward and settled in Newcastle.
  • He served with the 33rd Battalion on the Western Front.
  • After the war he married an Australian girl, Janet Stirrat, and lived in Sydney working as a lorry driver and labourer.

John Gustaf Graubin

  • John Gustaf Graubin was born in Helsingfors (Helsinki), came to Australia as a sailor in 1909 and worked as a farm labourer.
  • He served with the 59th Battalion on the Western Front. In September 1917, at the battle at Polygon Wood, he was reported missing in action; later, after a court of enquiry and witness testimony, he was reported as killed in action.
  • His father was found in Helsingfors after the war.

Stanley Johnson

  • Stanley Johnson, an Englishman born in St Petersburg, worked in Australia as a mechanical engineer.
  • He served with the 3rd Pioneer Battalion on the Western Front attaining the rank of Lieutenant. In 1917 he spent some time in London working for the War Office, probably liaising with the Russian Government Committee. In August 1918 at the battle near Bray he was wounded in the thigh.
  • He was married when he enlisted in the army and after the war lived in Western Australia with his family.

Hyalmar Anton Lammi

  • Hyalmar Anton Lammi, a Finish seaman from Kristinestad, came to Australia in 1915.
  • Enlisting in the AIF in Sydney, he served with the 17th Battalion on the Western Front. Soon after arrival to the front in April 1917 he developed bronchitis and was later diagnosed with TB.
  • He was repatriated to Australia and returned to his seafaring profession, but on Christmas Eve of 1918 died under the wheels of a tram in Sydney.

Emil Setalo

  • Emil Setalo, a former Finnish seaman from Pori, was working in Australia as a miner and a sawyer in Cobar.
  • He enlisted in the AIF together with Lammi, but was placed in the 53rd Battalion. In May 1917, at Bullecourt, he was severely wounded in the back and chest and returned to Australia.
  • After the war he continued his occupation as a sailor in America and Europe, but in 1935 returned to Australia.