Makewitz, Whynsky, Gosker, Niskanen, Ambrosen

March 14, 2015

August Makewitz

  • August Makewitz, a Latvian seaman from Talsen (Talsi), came to South Australia in 1906.
  • He served at Gallipoli with the 27th Battalion, then on the Western Front with the 50th Battalion. In April 1917 at the battle for Noreuil he was severely wounded and his leg was amputated.
  • Returning to Australia he lived in Port Adelaide and died in 1922, living just long enough to receive his war medals.

William Whynsky

  • Similarly short was the life of William Whynsky, who served as Whnsky. He came from ‘Russia’, probably Ukraine, in about 1910 and worked in Helidon, Queensland as a quarryman.
  • With the 25th Battalion he served at Gallipoli and on the Western Front, where in August 1916 he was severely wounded at Pozieres.
  • After the war he worked as a stone dresser at Helidon near Toowoomba and suicided a few days before Christmas 1920.

Harry Gosker

  • Harry Gosker was Pole from Warsaw.
  • Enlisting in the AIF in Sydney, he deserted several weeks later and was never found again.

Frederick Niskanen

  • Frederick Niskanen from Finland before coming to Australia served for 2 years with the Russian Lifeguards. In Australia he worked as a labourer in Neerim South in Victoria.
  • Enlisting in the AIF, he was allocated to the Australian Flying Corps and served in India and Egypt; initially he served as a driver on mule transport, but later became an air mechanic. In April 1917 he was transferred to England.
  • After the war he was discharged in London and probably returned to Finland.

William Ambrosen

  • William Ambrosen, a rigger from Nargen in Estonia, came to Victoria in 1912.
  • Enlisting in Adelaide, he served at Gallipoli with the 27th Battalion. He continued his service on the Western Front with the Field Engineers until he got sick in June 1916 and invalided to England, where he continued his service in the Provost Corp.
  • While in England, he married an English woman, Lottie Guyatt, settled with his family at Monxton, Hampshire, and worked as a paint maker.