Русская версия

Grehoff, Kocoaw, Ostrinko, Lebovetz, Brandebura

Parfeny Grehoff

  • Parfeny Grehoff, a veterinary doctor, came from Ust-Kamenogorsk in Siberia, landing in Brisbane in 1913. He had already lived a full life, being 43 and a widower.
  • Enlisting in the AIF, he served at Gallipoli with the 15th Battalion. A few days after his arrival, he was injured falling from a cliff and evacuated to Australia. He took up poultry farming for a while, but in May 1918 he re-enlisted, this time in the AN&MEF. He served as a private in the Rabaul and Kokopo garrisons until he fell ill, when he was once again invalided back to Australia.
  • In 1922 he died in Queensland.

Peter Kocoaw

  • Peter Kocoaw (his correct name was Danil Asaievitch Kotzojeff), an Ossetian from the North Caucasus, enlisted in the AIF in Sydney, producing a consular letter.
  • Three months later he deserted and was never found.

Alik Ostrinko

  • Alik Ostrinko from Poltava in Ukraine came to Australia via the Far East in 1912.
  • Enlisting in the AIF as Osmirko in Brisbane, he deserted two and half months later.
  • He lived in Central and North Queensland working as a photographer and, according to a local paper, was an artist in this trade.

Elias Lebovetz

  • Elias Lebovetz, a Jewish man, was born in Lemberg (Lvov), while his parents were from Kiev. The family migrated to Palestine and in 1910 Elias came to Western Australia, where he worked as a farmer and labourer.
  • Enlisting in the AIF in Perth he served in the Camel Corps in Egypt. In April 1917 he was wounded near Gaza and repatriated to Australia.
  • After the war he moved to Melbourne where he married Perl Kozminsky. He worked as a fruiterer.

Joseph Brandebura

  • Joseph Brandebura from Lipno in Poland came to Australia on the eve of WWI and worked as a waiter.
  • Enlisting to the AIF he fought at Gallipoli with the 24th Battalion, and on the Western Front with machine gun regiments. In May 1917 he was wounded at Bullecourt with a gunshot wound to the right leg, but he recovered and returned to duty. While on the Western Front he reached the rank of regimental sergeant major (WO1).
  • After the war he changed his name to Brand. He married and lived in Melbourne working as a commercial traveller. During WWII he enlisted again and served in the workshop section for three years.