Tammai, Ravensby, Westerlund, Eloranta, Johnson

January 5, 2016

Charles Tammai

  • Charles Tammai, a ship’s carpenter from the Piarnu area in Estonia, came to Australia in 1911, after seafaring for 13 years, and worked in South Australia.
  • He served on the Western Front with the 7th Field Company Engineers.
  • After the war he lived in Western Australia working as a carpenter.

Michael Ravensby

  • Michael Ravensby’s original name was Rowinski. He was a Polish farmer; conscripted into the Russian army he fought in the Russo-Japanese War, where he became a prisoner of war. He came to Brisbane in 1910 with several other Poles and Russians who later enlisted in the AIF. He worked as a labourer, building railways and cutting cane in Queensland. In 1911 he married an Australian woman, Alice Byrness, and by the time of his enlistment had two daughters.
  • He served in Egypt as a trooper, allocated to the Light Horse and Field Ambulance.
  • After the war he lived in Wynnum and Nambour, working as a labourer and a farmer.

Ilmar Westerlund

  • Ilmar Westerlund, a Finnish seaman from Nystad (Uusikaupunki), came to Newcastle in 1914 and worked as a wine cellarman for Minchinbury vineyard.
  • He served with the 54th Battalion on the Western Front. In May 1917, at the battle for Bullecourt, he was severely wounded and his left hand was amputated.
  • Returning to Australia, he married Ethel May Upex, and lived in Sydney working as a lift attendant.

Charles Eloranta

  • Charles Eloranta, a sailman and sailor from Rauma in Finland, came to Brisbane in 1913, but by the time of his enlistment in the AIF he was working in Kalgoorlie in Western Australia.
  • He served as an Air Mechanic 1st class in the 1st Squad Australian Flying Corps in Egypt.
  • After the war he returned to Finland, but in 1929 he sailed back to Australia.

Andrew Johnson

  • Andrew Johnson, a Finn from Wasa, lived in Kalgoorlie by the time of his enlistment in the AIF.
  • He served with the 28th battalion on the Western Front. In August 1916, at the battle for Mouquet Farm, he was wounded in the leg. In December 1916 he was buried during an explosion and although he was dug out, he became chronically weak, developed defective vision and was returned to Australia as medically unfit.
  • He died soon after his discharge from the Army, in Geraldton.