Kunin, Bloom, Bremer, Bostrom, Nyblom

March 7, 2016

Gregory Kunin

  • Gregory Kunin, a young Jewish man from Volozhin in Belarus, came to Australia with his sister Leah in 1914. They settled in Melbourne where he worked as a carpenter.
  • Enlisting in the AIF, Kunin served with the 22nd Battalion on the Western Front. In September 1917 he was killed on the outpost at Westhoek Ridge near Ypres.
  • His mother Basia was found after the war and received his awards.

Gustaf Bloom

  • Gustaf Bloom came from the Aland Islands in Finland and worked as a bricklayer labourer.
  • He enlisted in the AIF in Newcastle and served in the 35th Battalion on the Western Front.
  • After the war he lived in Maffra in Victoria, working as a radio mechanic and serviceman. During WWII he served in the AIF in the Heavy Wireless Group.

Frederick Bremer

  • Frederick Bremer from Latvia probably came to Australia as a seaman.
  • He enlisted in the AIF in Narrabri in NSW. Arriving to Plymouth with the 33rd Battalion, he got sick with pneumonia and died a few days later, in August 1916.
  • His family in Latvia was found after the war.

Jarl Oswald Bostrom

  • Jarl Oswald Bostrom, a Finnish seaman from Helsingfors (Helsinki), came to Australia in 1916.
  • He enlisted in the AIF in Newcastle and served with the 34th Battalion on the Western Front. In June 1917 he was wounded at Messines and in October 1917 gassed at Passchendaele. During the next year he was twice a casualty: in May 1918 he was gassed and then wounded in the leg in July 1918.
  • After the war he settled in Sydney, continuing his occupation as a fireman. In 1922 he married an Australian girl, Adeline Violet Stanley; they had four sons, but his wife died in 1928 and Jarl would continue to commemorate her in newspaper advertisements on the anniversaries of her death. Their two sons served in the AIF in WWII.

Frans Albert Nyblom

  • Frans Albert Nyblom, another Finnish seaman from Bromarv, came to Australia in 1913.
  • He enlisted in the AIF in Melbourne and served with the 38th Battalion on the Western Front. A month after his arrival to the front, in December 1916, he was wounded in the leg at Armentieres and taken POW. He survived and was returned to Australia in 1919.
  • After the war he married Norah Parfery and lived with his family in Melbourne, working as a seaman. During WWII he served in the Volunteer Defence Corps, while his son Francis Alfred served on Bougainville Island.