April 20, 2016
- Herman Johnson from Piarnu in Estonia came to Australia in 1896 and worked on the goldfields in Western Australia.
- He came with the 28th Battalion on the Western Front, but soon got sick with pneumonia and was returned to Australia as medically unfit.
- After the war he married an Australian woman, Edith Hinchcliffe Mallet, and lived in Subiaco, working as a shopkeeper.
- Morris Saffar, a Jewish man, provided different places of birth: Paris in France, Volyn in Ukraine, and Ostrow in Poland. He came to Western Australia in 1914 and worked as a mechanical engineer.
- He served with the 51st Battalion on the Western Front. In April 1918 at Villers-Bretonneux he was wounded in the right hand and returned to Australia.
- During the war his wife and children stayed in Russia. They were located through the British consul and reunited in Australia in 1923, but the marriage did not last. During WWII Morris enlisted in the AIF in Melbourne and later lived in Adelaide.
- Robert Golden, a Jewish man from Riga, enlisted in the AIF in Sydney, providing his occupation as a plumber.
- He served with the 9th Field Company Engineers on the Western Front as a mechanic.
- After the war he stayed in Sydney, continuing his work as a plumber.
William Frederick Floessell
- William Frederick Floessell, an engineer from Helsingfors (Helsinki) in Finland who was educated in Europe, worked in Sydney by the time of his enlistment in the AIF. His wife and two sons lived in Christchurch in New Zealand.
- He served with the 56th Battalion on the Western Front, until he got sick with rheumatism and returned to Australia in 1917.
- After the war he published a book, Saints and Soldiers by Harley Matthews; he stayed in Sydney working as an engineer.
- Simon Woolman, a Jewish man from Kleczew in Poland, lived in Sydney working as a bar manager and grocer. By the time of his enlistment in the AIF he had a wife and two children.
- He served with the Machine Gun companies on the Western Front.
- After the war he lived in Sydney working as a porter and steward.